Thursday 26 January 2012

BLOG TAG (1) Para 01

Well, I said that I might try this (see “Paragraph: One” from 2 days ago or click on http://bit.ly/yAO6PV), so, in an effort to get the ball rolling from somewhere, here’s an opening paragraph which I wrote some time ago in another life, otherwise known as “this morning”... So, if you want to play along, just write the next paragraph and (depending upon who’s first, I suppose, or maybe I’ll be lucky enough to get to pick and choose... I’m still working on that bit, not that I expect that many takers... Perhaps some kind of a poll might be required...?) I’ll then try and continue it on from that and maybe at some point something resembling a story might evolve. There are no real rules, apart from the usual taste and decency ones (just think “not in front of the children and/or my mother”), and perhaps if you write bits on your own blog, some kind of “link” thing might be a requirement, so that it all kind of makes some sort of sense I suppose, and I will reserve the right to fail, give up or just plain not get around to doing my bit if it all peters out, not that I’m really expecting any kind of interest from anyone in doing this anyway... although I am hoping that it’ll just be a bit of fun rather than expecting to turn out an award-winning novella, oh, and some kind of identification might be a good idea, I expect, and perhaps I should set a limit of a paragraph, or a word count limit (I dont know, after all I am - rather appropriately I suppose - making this stuff up as I go along...). I can’t even decide whether to just add paragraphs to this post or just add links to the next one. I just don’t know, I have these notions and I just dont think them through, do I...?

Here goes...

Max stood on the balcony and smiled. The past six weeks had been possibly the toughest of his life so far, but at least he could look back on them now and know that they were behind him. Also behind him, through the glass doors, the party celebrating his achievements was in full swing, and he chuckled to himself when he heard the sounds of a familiar dispute over the choice of music breaking out. The same old raised voices with the same old arguments that he had heard time and again over the years whenever the old crowd went somewhere and music was being played. It was quite sad really, for not one of them could hold a tune if their lives depended on it. The soft tinkle of a breaking glass and the subsequent cheer and ripple of applause indicated to Max that perhaps it was time for him to get back inside and play the genial host once again, so he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. They immediately shot open again at the sound of more glass breaking. A lot more! Then the screaming and the shouting began. He spun around, ready to go and find out what on earth could be going on, just as the doors behind him swung open violently, and he stopped, frozen in disbelief. There, right in front of him, dishevelled and battered from fighting his way through the party guests, was a man who, apart from the long, filthy hair, the straggly beard and the battered dinner suit, could have been his exact double. The other party guests were doing their best to hold him back, but somehow this unlikely figure had forced his way through them to get this far and it seemed that he wasn't going to let anybody stop him. The man reached out a grubby hand towards Max and bellowed as if his very life depended upon it: Max! Whatever you do, youve got to get off this ship!

So... Follow that (if you dare). I look forward to finding out what happens next...!


Link to Paragraph Two: http://m-a-w-h.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-tag-1-para-02.html

2 comments:

  1. But of course Max didn't. He didn't need to. His blackened wings unfurled from beneath his stiff white shirt as he cried: "Ah, if only it were as simple as that!"

    Rising above the doomed ship below Max beckoned to the violin player - the show must go on, after all wasn't this the show of all shows, the show that even the fallen Tamara had been waiting for all of these long, sweet years?

    Max spat - and as his spittle hit the spray-swept deck he heard a voice cgrackling from the speakers high up on the quarterdeck: " Abandon hope, all ye who enter here".

    Max turned his wings and flew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or link to Paragraph 02: http://m-a-w-h.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-tag-1-para-02.html

    ReplyDelete