Wednesday 1 July 2015

WORDS OF DISLIKE


Some words do irritate
They’ve become too profligate
So now I’ve begun to postulate
Perhaps I ought to illustrate

You see “everyone” doesn’t mean “everyone”
Despite how things might seem -
When “everyone is talking” about something
It’s seldom me that they can mean
So “everyone” means “some people”
Not anyone I’d like to call
“Some people” means “someone else”
Then “someone else” can be no-one at all
And if we get to a place where “everyone”
Doesn’t mean anyone, civilisations can fall

Perhaps you can relate
Could be I pontificate
Maybe I speculate
Must I reiterate?

Because “brilliant” doesn’t mean “brilliant”
Despite what you might hope –
They’ll tell you everything is “brilliant”
Singing praises for some old rope
So “brilliant” now means “adequate”
Or “something I quite like a bit”
So now all kinds of mediocre rubbish
And any old duff piece of shit
Leaves the truly brilliant to just slink away
Whilst some idiot gets a huge hit

Are you all up to date?
Is it beginning to permeate?
Might take all night at this rate
Yet again I’ll demonstrate

I know that “genius” doesn’t mean “genius”
Even if you’re clever folk
But any old nonsense these days
Gets called “genius” by some blokes
But genius turns up maybe once
Or twice in a lifetime they say
A Leonardo, an Einstein, a Mozart,
Not some geezer from down the café
Who dazzles you with some fancy card trick
Or wrangles words in a vaguely witty way

There can be no debate
Because they ought to legislate
Intervention by the state
Or at least this old reprobate

See… “legendary” doesn’t mean “legendary”
At least not in the way that they mean
One cough and a spit in the limelight
And a “legend” is too soon to be seen
True legends must earn that big label
By standing the true test of time
And sticking around in our memories
Long after their candle has died
And it does kind of help if they’re brilliant
Although being fictional will also be fine

These fools I do berate
They’re far too profligate
Word’s true meaning will negate
So again I’ll regurgitate

We all know that “hero” doesn’t mean “hero”
Not in the way it’s bandied about
These days any fool is a “hero”
Even if they just lark about
Sportsmen and rock stars and actors
Even someone who’s just an old pain -
Yet there are real heroes of course
Dodging bullets and bombs in our name
Worthy of our respect and admiration
And not just because they’ve found fame

Once more I’ll elaborate
My vented spleen to satiate
I know it’s getting late
But at the risk of tempting fate

Nowadays “like” just doesn’t mean “like”
People “like” even when they’re not keen
They’ll click on all sorts of nonsense
Say it’s the ‘best thing that they’ve ever seen”
They’ll tell you your rubbish is “brilliant”
Call you “genius” and all kinds of things
Tell you “everyone” thinks you’re amazing
You’re their “hero” and all that this brings
And when you start to believe in your “legend”
You might find out just how hollow it rings

These words I want to reinstate
The real value of, old mate
I hope it’s begun to penetrate
These over-used words I really… quite dislike.

Martin A W Holmes, July 2015

5 comments:

  1. Clever, clever, and very clever.
    I saw some stuff on the news tonight.
    It should not have happened, not never.
    It really affronted my sense of right,
    So I must borrow your new medium
    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just dabbling in the shallow end...

      Enjoy...!

      Delete
  2. My end is probably shallower still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mind you nothing could be worse than Wordsworthian drivel.

    ReplyDelete