Sunday 5 July 2015

MUSIC-CULL


Grandad he played Hammond Organ
Quite a musician he was in his prime
I imagine he thought that his legacy
Might re-emerge somewhere down the line.

Grandad bought me a half-size guitar
That he hoped I’d learn to play –
But the half-sized strings hurt my fingers
So eventually it was given away.

Grandad bought me a descant recorder
That I tooted through from time-to-time
It’s in its yellow bag in the attic
In a shoebox that I sometimes find.

Grandad bought me a steel harmonica
Made a tuneless racket whenever I’d blow
But I never did manage to play a good tune
So inside a box it just had to go.

Grandad bought sis an upright piano
Well it wasn’t for me, that’s for sure
It hung ’round for years not played very much
And she sold it when she felt quite poor.

Grandad gave up on buying me instruments
He couldn’t find a thing I would play
But now I wish he’d been more persistent
Because I’d love to play music these days.

Martin A W Holmes, July 2015

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 07, 2015

    It's never too late to learn! How I wish I'd kept the piano!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rediscovered the guitar a few years ago after a gap of 35 years. Had to start pretty much from scratch and endured the sore fingers. It really is worth the pain. It can be a great stress reliever and cure for boredom. Probably therapeutic in a similar way to your writing. By the way, I'm pleased to see you blogging regularly again.

    ReplyDelete