Saturday 3 May 2014

DREAM IN...

I saw this poster the other day, and my first thoughts were "What a load of old marketing toss…"

It was almost as if the team working on the campaign had just noticed that the bottle was green and wondered "Well, what rhymes with green?" and, in this snappy, soundbite and utterly meaningless culture in which we are now living, the principle of "That'll do…" seemed to be good enough for them.

But…

Well, what exactly does it mean…?

My own experiences of drinking lager may indeed have kicked up the occasional dream, but it wasn't usually the sort of thing that you might aspire to, and, to be perfectly honest with you, the after-effects of drinking the stuff were not exactly the most pleasant times of my life…

It's utterly meaningless, and, not only that, it's not even interestingly meaningless like the old abstract cigarette ads used to be.

Mind you, as I've been driving around, I've also been fairly baffled by those posters for M&S featuring all of the women gazing wistfully off towards some distant horizon…

I guess that I'm supposed to know who they all are, but other than Annie Lennox and Emma Thompson, I will have to admit to being slightly baffled.

But then I get that a lot. The sporty Santander bunch are still fairly anonymous to me, despite, I assume, being "very recognisable" to the majority of the population, otherwise they'd have to put their names there which might negate the value of their "celebrity" endorsement.

Although, for me at least. putting the names might help, because I do find the assumption that I will already know who they are is actually rather off-putting.


No comments:

Post a Comment