Saturday 29 December 2012

SOME RANDOM MID-DECEMBER THOUGHTS


I woke up feeling pretty crappy again on a dark, chilly and gloomy old morning in mid-December whilst these pages were all being distracted by an “exciting adventure” which I didn’t want to interrupt with something so banal and dreary as my own little whinges about nothing in particular. My stomach was churning, I had a strangely “bloody” taste in my mouth, my nose was all gunked up and I felt as fatigued as hell…

In other words, I had a slight winter cold but, just in order to defy the common fallacious beliefs about gender stereotyping, I battled on right through it with the minimum of fuss, and only had the odd early night to let anyone in the world know that I was slightly “under the weather…”

You see how thoughtful I can be. I might have gone on and on and on about it right here, in that way we’re supposed to do as “modern men” but I refuse point blank to accept that such sexist beliefs ought to be tolerated in either direction, even if it is merely to redress the balance after centuries of injustice in the other direction.

Now that it is “unacceptable” for workplaces to hang calendars portraying naked women in an exploitative way, why should we find a profusion of men’s bottoms in our advertisements any more acceptable? Equally, why is it acceptable for mainstream supermarkets to imply that men have little input into the average family Christmas in a campaign that seems to have upset the feminists almost as much as the men who find themselves run ragged over the festive season…? The word is “equality” for a reason, ladies and gents, girls and boys, or indeed women and men...

Thankfully, to keep me from brooding upon such dark thoughts and my own sense of feeling pretty woeful, there was cricket on the radio to keep me amused and away from the distractions of composing witty TwitterBanter instead, because inspiration was otherwise failing to strike me as I sat at the keyboard in the small hours trying to come up with things to write about, and it was nice to have something to listen to in order to commit the one thing we ought not to attempt: killing time.

After all, we get little enough of it, and so deliberately squandering it seems like such a waste…

Then, rather ironically in this context, I had an evening to myself, which is never a good thing despite the fact that it ought to be. These days I’m just not all that good at spending time in my own company. I get twitchy. I get distracted. There’s so much that I could do that I find it hard to decide quite what to do, and so I end up doing very little.

I thought that I’d perhaps spend the evening writing, but then I found that I couldn’t seem to find any desire to write and, not only that, I really didn’t want to spend the time writing. It’s all very disturbing but does at least convince me that I really do need to take some time away from the keyboard, and fairly soon, too…

And it was cold.

Work is becoming busier as we approach the most frantic period of our production year which is traditionally (and rather wickedly) pitched exactly three weeks beyond Christmas in order to ruin it for everyone in the industry. It’s also far less easy to concentrate upon such things as it is the season for those slight winter colds, and for everyone involved, that nagging sense of feeling slightly ill descends properly alongside the niggling sense of guilt that you really need to keep calm and carry on…

I also forgot how utterly draining and exhausting writing a long project can be. Since it has finished, I’ve been scrabbling around and utterly failing to string anything like an ordinary blog posting together, and still am, if I’m being completely honest.

It’s tricky. Nothing seems “significant” enough after churning out a twenty-five part posting. Picking and choosing the “next” thing to put on the shelf next to it seems very difficult to compose, and yet I’m still here, trying and struggling to fill a page with coherent thoughts about anything very much at all, and still pondering upon the shortcomings of my own daily efforts at word-wrangling and wondering again about the point of it all.

Not only that, but as that particular story continued to unfold over in the heady, giddy world of “page-a-day” publishing, the numbers (because with me it’s always about the numbers), whilst they started off healthily enough, seemed to crash into a metaphorical brick wall and, if I had bothered to save the graph, looked as if they had plunged off a cliff.

Do I know how to drive people away by attempting to entertain them or what…?

A gift freely given does not, after all, have to be gratefully received if it’s something that you really, really do not want, and if it’s a cheap and nasty gift, a pale parody of a thing of the sort you might find on the market or in the petrol station, then it’s just as likely to end up in the bin just as soon as you think nobody’s looking.

In other words, what kind of an idiot writes a long story quite badly that no-one wants to read and stick with it regardless and over such a protracted period off time…?

What was I thinking…?

But it was intended as a “gift” to anyone who was interested. The problem is that the people at whom it was aimed chose not to read it, and very, very few people actually did… Either that or perhaps I’m just not the sort of person who people consider “like”-able... (and there I was, saying only a couple of days ago that I would not mention it again... Obsessive...? Moi...?)

It’s cold out there…

And the rains have returned, too…

I must still be “quite” likeable, though. I recently got a party invite and, for once, I was even considering (for the time being anyway) that I might quite like to go. It would, after all, at least be another opportunity to dig out the suit to wear. Unfortunately, this time the wiser head of the household is rather less keen to go, so I suppose we won’t end up going.

But it’s nice to be asked…

If nothing else it proves that I’m not quite the social outcast that I sometimes believe that I’ve become.

Yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment