Tuesday 16 September 2014

THOSE MOMENTS…

Because it’s me, I do tend to set myself fairly strict limitations when I wave my telephone in the vague direction of the sky during those “pull over to the side of the road and think” moments that I’ve recently been treating myself to during the morning’s commute.

There must be no cheating. When I pull up at that now oh-so-familiar viewpoint (and it’s usually the same viewpoint because that’s one of the rules), the resulting picture, if I choose to take one, must be pretty much of what I see right there and then.

There can be no hanging around to see if it gets “better…”

None of that.

What you see is what you get, or rather, what I see is what you get.

This morning, for example, I could, after all, have decided to hang around for another ten minutes or so in the hope that it all got far more spectacular, but I didn’t, despite the fact that the pink afterglow of the dawn and the cloud structure actually looked rather promising as the sun looked on the very brink of coming up.

Instead I pulled over to the side of the road, thought my thought, and pointed the camera at the sky to preserve what I could of the moment, before setting off once again to battle with the commute, and failing to take my second “pause” at the viewpoint over the big city which is sometimes my second option when option one proves to bland, murky, or disappointing to be recorded.

You see…? Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, I do sometimes choose not to take a sky photograph as I go about on my travels, especially if the “murk” factor is way, way too high.

To be honest, this morning, I did lurk a little longer than usual in order to watch the low lying clouds as they tumbled down the mountains across the valley from me, which is why I found myself pondering upon these self-inflicted “rules” of mine.


After all, if you can’t even be bothered to obey your own rules, what hope is there…?

1 comment:

  1. The important ones are just that. As for the rest? Well, a little bit of a bend is fine even on a straight road.

    ReplyDelete