Wednesday 18 June 2014

HOME ALONE

The Beloved has gone away for a couple of days to attend a conference, leaving me home alone for perhaps the first time in a dozen years, with full TV access, the choice of anything I want from the freezer, and a sense of emptiness that I am finding hard to express.

After all, it's not as if being alone in my own company isn't something that I've occasionally had to get used to. After all, during those rather vital 1990s, most of which I spent alone in my life, I did rather get used to my own company, but, having chosen to make a change and set aside that particular unfortunate phase of my life, I've really hardly ever been alone since.

In fact - and this has only just struck me - with both the Beloved and her family being away at the same time, and taking into account my own personal circumstances with regard to my own family, this is quite possibly the most alone that I've ever been...

Crikey!

And now I find that I really don't like it…

No wonder I was feeling so gloomy earlier on in the week.

Still, it's good to know these things, and it's good to know that the Beloved is actually being missed, after all, I do get the impression that other people, perhaps ones who've never been forced to endure a few years in that state, sometimes look forward to an opportunity to spend some time alone.

To which all I can say is: Be careful what you wish for...


2 comments:

  1. You need a hobby Martin. Try blogging ;-)

    ReplyDelete