Tuesday 4 February 2014

LANDFILL

I'm using this posting in order to save a link to an article which I enjoyed and which, to me, made a lot of sense, said a lot of things which I'd been thinking about far more pithily than I ever could, and because, at some point in the future, I'll be trying to find "that article that I read" and wouldn't normally be able to.

I was sitting around at the Beloved's parents' house and, because they'd all disappeared off somewhere (I can clear a room in seconds, me...), I picked up a copy of the "Guardian Guide" which happened to be lying on a table next to me and this article so struck a nerve with me that, later on the same evening, when I finally got home, I did a quick internet search to find out whether I could track it down online, and then (horror of horrors) chose to "share" it with my online acquaintances.

This was most probably a HUGE mistake, but there you are...

After all, we really don't like it when the chips on our shoulders are poked at, do we, boys and girls...? Especially when, deep down, we all know that we're guilty as charged...

Interestingly enough, though, it does have a lot to say about what I'm beginning to regard as the devolution of the language, or the infantilisation of alleged adults (or "grown-ups" - Hah!) when they choose to engage with other adults on social media websites, and it's a topic that I have touched upon in these pages before, not, I imagine, that you were paying all that much attention to the raging curmudgeon who appears to have no sense of humour.

Or perhaps you were just too busy having #feels because someone had posted an image of a sad looking kitten, or a unicorn with a broken horn...?

Awwww...

#GoAway

Meanwhile, the thought which most crossed my mind the morning after I posted this link that any adult, or at least anyone who remotely considers themselves to be an adult, who uses a term like "XX more sleeps" when interacting with another adult really needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves whether they might be of more use to society if they were acting as landfill.

Hmmm...

That's probably the kind of thinking that doesn't do me any favours over in the big friendly cesspool of social networking and is probably best kept for my blog...

So, "Ta-dah!!!, here it was...

(Now, what were the chances of that...?)

I see that I'm obviously channelling my inner "Charlie Brooker" this morning, even though I haven't actually bought the book...

Yet...

Of course, mention of Mr B does remind me of my favourite quote of his which adorns the front page of my FizzBok page and which seems to me to be getting more and more relevant by the day...

"If I could create a virus that'd make readers' monitors spit glass in their ungrateful eyes the moment they click 'post comment', I would." (Charlie Brooker)

And, of course, I do recognise the inherent hypocrisy that posting these daily nonsenses is basically hitting "comment" in a slightly different way.

Sigh.

Anyway... Read this... It's funny and, tragically, also far too true...

7 comments:

  1. I have a very "bipolar" relationship with t'interweb, as you may have noticed…

    [POSTS COMMENT]

    Ow! Owwww!!! My bloody eyes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you never get postcards that read 'Having a lovely time. Wish you were here'? Nothing has changed apart from the delivery mechanism, people remain so trite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, no… But then few people have ever wished I was there...

      Delete
  3. The 'sleeps' thing particularly infuriates me. I don't consider myself to be in any way 'grown-up,' but I do remember leaving primary school some time ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 4 sleeps to go. Wish you were here. :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete