Saturday 11 January 2014

BRIDGING A GAP

I don't know quite how many times this year that I've started to write a new blog posting only for it to fizzle out to nothing almost before I've reached the end of the first sentence. A thought will strike me and I'll dash to the keyboard in order to write it down before I completely forget it, only for it to peter out and falter before a follow-up sentence can even form.

Oh... and I used to be so very verbose...

In the old days of this blog, I could rattle on for paragraph after paragraph about nothing in particular without any real effort at all, much, as I'm sure, to the chagrin of those unfortunate enough to visit this place and read it, but now I find that six or seven lines seem to be about as much as I can manage before colliding with a wall of self-doubt or being overwhelmed by a great wave of wondering what the point of doing it might actually be, and whether there actually is one at all...

Now, because you're all bright and very discerning people, you'll have already noticed that we're far beyond those seven lines today already, but, given that this is probably the third or fourth day that I've attempted to add something new to that initial paragraph, I think the point is still valid.

Anyway that, at least, goes some way towards bridging that recent gap and explaining (just in case anybody noticed...) the fact that I have been making fewer appearances in these pages so far this year and that the appearances which have been made may not have quite have had my usual level of pith and vinegar.

I wonder whether it's a continuation of the New Year's malaise or something far more troubling, a sense of not feeling relevant any longer.

I have been rifling through my more recent and accessible photographs lately in search of something or other which might sum up my existence upon this planet in one relevant image and have come to the conclusion that, having now looked at a lot of them and tried to keep awake, all in all, my life is all rather drab, mundane and lacking in interest which kind of made me realise that, because it is so very drab, mundane and lacking in interest, anything that I might have to say about it is likely to also be somewhat drab, mundane and lacking in interest.

And, as we probably ought not to mention, repetitive.

But then I did go ahead and mention it anyway...

You see... No self-control at all.

Equally, I might suggest that I've come to the conclusion that expressing opinions of any sort is a bit of a pointless exercise as well… After all, what should anyone else care about what I happen to "reckon" about this and that? It is, at best, mildly interesting and, as is more likely, utterly irrelevant… After all, you're just as likely to have read the news and formed your own opinion as I am... and, given that I've come to the conclusion ("Ah, if only he had" they cry as one...) that all argument is utterly futile given that people seldom go away from one with their opinion altered in any way, perhaps the area of current affairs is something that I now ought to shy away from... especially as the only response I'm likely to prompt from most people is "What a flippin' idiot...!"

Which basically leaves me with just telly to talk about, and nowadays, when it comes to "telly" well, my opinion is hardly mainstream any more... given that I have a natural aversion to soaps, reality TV, most sport, quiz shows, reality TV shows or talent shows.

Charlie Brooker was good this week, though, and I'm enjoying "Sherlock" even though that's going to be all over with for another couple of years after tomorrow and when I look forward to the rest of the year, a barren televisual landscape seems to lie before me.

So, material may be hard to come by, but I'll endeavour to splutter out a few more pieces as best I can...

Be seeing you.


1 comment: