Thursday 27 June 2013

35 YEARS WOMBLING ON


I was appalled with myself it took possibly more than 35 years to notice the double meaning in that line in "The Wombling Song..."

Perhaps you know the line... it's the one that goes like this:

"Uncle Bulgaria, he can remember the days when he wasn't behind the times..."

Or was it  "Behind 'The Times'...?"

Because that's how he was most often seen, sitting reading a copy of today's 'Times" newspaper... and I simply cannot believe that it took me so many years to pick up on that, perhaps totally unintentional (but I doubt it) double meaning...

Hold on...

You know...

I think that I may have mentioned this before...

Some time ago in another blog posting somewhere hereabouts...

Hmmm...

Perhaps my little daily literary offerings are starting to repeat themselves... Perhaps I'm becoming repetitive.

Perhaps my thought processes have finally completed the loop and gone full circle...

Perhaps that's what they mean by "going loopy"...?

Well, if I am beginning to cover the same ground, perhaps it is time for a long break after all, although it is, of course, the pinnacle of arrogance to expect anyone else to have even remembered a vague and obscure f=reference which I may (or may not) have made in these pages at some point in the none-too distant past...

Still, whilst we are thinking about covering ground (Do you see what I did there...? With links like that I really ought to have been working in local radio for all of these years...), let's all take a leaf from the Wombles' own book and pick up that litter as we go, eh...?

2 comments:

  1. Don't be defeated by Mike Batt for God's sake! He also wrote that there are nine million bicycles in Beijing and that Katie Melluah was the closest thing to crazy she had ever been, feeling twenty-two, acting seventeen. Such a big difference that 5 years in terms of life experience... not!

    You Womble on mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, at the moment, I'm feeling defeated by pretty much everything... :-(

      Delete