Saturday 18 May 2013

THE TANGLED RAILINGS

Photographs of accidents not seen #1 - The tangled railings.

I really don't know what happened here, but on one recent morning, during the regular commute, as I approached the usually all-too familiar corner of one industrial estate to make the turn onto the road which leads to another, I was greeted by this unexpected sight which did, at least, have the one slight advantage of adding a smidgen of variety into my otherwise tediously similar daily photocopies of yesterday's journey.

Okay, as silver linings go, it's not much... especially for anyone who might have happened to have been involved in the incident as it occurred, but it's something...

Later on, however, I did find myself wondering quite what had happened, though, to leave such a sculptural mangled tangle of metal sitting there at the junction 

Was it a lorry perhaps...?

Misjudging the turn...?

Certainly the lack of floral tributes which didn't appear at the site over the next few morning thankfully implies that it was nothing more tragic for which we should be grateful, but I did find myself thinking more and more about this evidence of an accident unseen and wondered time and again about whether you can ever fully reconstruct an event just by looking at the outcome and not seeing the initial incident without running off into the realms of sheer fantasy.

"The aftermath of accidents unseen..."

Of course. for me at least, the worst thing about this whole scene was my attempts to try and avoid having another accident at the very same spot whilst pulling up and trying to take a picture of the one I hadn't seen whilst puttering along through my own commute, because, whilst I seem to be oblivious to most things, I'm not immune to irony...

(One of those blog postings that - hopefully - does exactly what it says on the tin...)

3 comments:

  1. I think a T Rex popped out of the ether of time, did a boot of territory protection stuff and then blipped back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "T-Rex" made me think of Marc Bolan which made me think of... Ah, you know... :-(

      Delete
  2. AnonymousMay 18, 2013

    Made me think of a cooking oil whose slipperiness (is that a word?) could well have contributed to said "incident" as the emergency services now call them!

    ReplyDelete