Wednesday 1 February 2012

A SHORT POEM ABOUT A LOST KNIGHT

Sir Walter Raleigh, for treason’s choice, kept his knighthood, lost his head.
I wonder if, given a choice, he’d have had it the other way round instead?

The talk on the radio this morning was all who can and can’t, or should and shouldn’t be allowed to lose their knighthoods and this little thought struck me. Surely we still talk of Sir Walter even though, as I believe, he was found guilty of that most capital of crimes: Treason. Nowadays, or at least until yesterday it would seem, apparently the only reason you can be stripped of a knighthood is if you are found guilty of a crime and, it also would appear, it rather depends upon the crime that you committed as a fair number of members of the current House of Lords have, I believe, spent more than a little time incarcerated “At Her Majesty's Pleasure” so to speak.

Anyway, the short “poem” (do two lines really qualify?) above popped into my head as I was driving. It was slightly too long for TwitWorld, and I posted it to FizzBok before it was ready, but anyway, here it is regardless. It would appear that with this and with the bizarreness of the “Blog Tag” experiment (http://m-a-w-h-writers.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-tag-1-part-1.html etc.) which I know that at least two of us are enjoying, even if no one else is, I’m obviously going through a more “creative writing” phase, for which I can only apologise, although in my defence, the truest tradition of blogging, i.e. posting opinions without checking the facts of what you are writing about, is, at least, being followed here today.

Normal service, I’m sure, will be resumed as soon as possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment