Friday 23 December 2016

FOR MARK


I had a yen to write a poem for a friend
Who passed away just before Christmas Day
But I lost my nerve because I didn’t deserve
To be called a pal when I didn’t know he was ill

But then you hear a friend has died

You lose touch, life goes on, you move away
You don’t exchange a word in years
But time rolls back and memories stir
Forgotten moments are suddenly near

When you hear a friend has died

Exchanging banter becoming friends
We sat in an office for several years
A hundred million years ago
So why’s it reducing me to tears

When you’re told a friend has died

The first time that we met
On interview day I was still a brat
But for many years afterwards
He called me “The Prat in the Hat”

Messenger pings - a friend has died

That was twenty-eight years ago
A heartbeat – the blink of an eye
Lives pass by before you know
The privilege was to know this guy

You learn this when a friend has died

Every day in his suit and his tie
With his many little sayings
From days when such things
Weren't politically incorrect

Fond memories when a friend has died

There are no pockets in shrouds
You’re in early, shit the bed Lloydy?
Patience is a virtue, seldom found in man
And never in a woman

Gain new meaning when a friend has died

It’s twenty eight years since our meeting
Just before his big birthday caused jokes
Back then forty seemed so very old
Now it seems such a long time ago

You see how time passes when a friend has died

In those far gone days he smoked for Britain
“Jurassic Mark” seemed a man out of time
Yet he was always so proud of his children
And worked for CAFOD in his spare time

You remember such things when a friend has died

He would enjoy a Clint Eastwood movie
And liked to make fun of his best mates
There were rumours he knew Paula Wilcox
I think they went out on a couple of dates

Fragments of life matter when a friend has died

He seemed to always love my drawings
Turned out he kept them in darkened drawers
The last time we met was a party
Where my pictures they plastered the walls

Small kindnesses recalled when a friend has died

When he decided it was time to go
He chose the longest night of the year
Last working day before Christmas
I get a message to dampen good cheer

It’s never a good time when a friend has died

I never hear from anyone now
Unless someone I once knew has died
Once again I didn't even know he was ill
Somehow in my head friends still abide

So it’s such a shock when a friend has died

My indestructible friend has died
A light like the last gasper burned out
He’d think writing this poem was stupid
With fond memories from the prat in the hat

You do these things when a friend has died

Mark McNicolas, friend and former colleague died December 21st 2016


3 comments:

  1. Perfect Martin, not only are you wonderful with words your drawing skills are top too x Lots of love and keep in touch x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several in my business who would disagree about my drawing "skills" and people seem mostly indifferent to my words, but thank you for your kind and supportive ones.
      :-)
      Feels odd that he's not still out there, doesn't it?

      Delete