Friday 9 December 2016

MEDICATION

MEDICATION

Overnight stay
After a simple fatty
Lump removal
Which bled and bled
They confined me to bed
Then woke me up to take
My blood pressure

Blood pressure
Rising steeply from
Overnight worrying
About the parking
When no more than
Six hours stretched
To twenty-four

Finally discharged
As long as I promise
To visit my doctor
To get medication…
Medication’s what you need
If you want to be
Dad’s record breaker

Initially
He prescribes to me
The standard option
Ramipril Capsules
Ten milligrams
But it makes
Little difference

Then he adds
Bisoprolol Fumarate
Ten milligrams
In tablet form
The name reminds me
Of the gunpowder
Ian Fleming used to take

Still not low enough
The cocktail mix
Gains another
Chemical ingredient
Amlopidine
Five milligrams
In tablet form

Also in tablet form
Two point five milligrams
Of Bendroflumethiazide
They tell me it’s
A water tablet which
Either makes me pee
Or prevents it

Finally added
Into the mix goes
The national drug of choice
Simvastatin Tablets
Twenty milligrams
It used to be forty
Then there was an “issue”

Seven years now
I’ve been taking this stuff
Four in the morning
One in the evening
Keeping me alive
Wonder if I’d still be
Here without them


Martin A W Holmes, Dec 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment