Saturday 5 April 2014

ON THE WORST DAY OF YOUR LIFE


It was my oldest friend’s wedding anniversary yesterday. As usual, and because I am the worst friend in the world, I sort of forgot about it and sort of didn’t. After all, it has been twenty years since he did me the almost unbelievable honour of asking me to stand next to him as he achieved that thing which seems to have eluded me by becoming a married man, and, several years later, a father, too.

After some discreet probing on a certain social media site, I worked out that it was indeed twenty years ago and thought that the very least that I could do was wish them a happy day by popping a swift greeting into their inbox.

The reply I got, however, rather took the wind out of my sails because it seemed that they were not having quite the day they had planned. After being rather ill for several months, it seemed that my friend’s father was finally losing his last battle which, as a former Royal Marine, I would like to believe was a very hard-fought one.

As ever, I passed on whatever platitudes I could and went on with my day whilst knowing that my friend and his family were probably enduring one of the very worst days of their lives, and knowing that friend is going through that all-too-familiar personal hell that day meant that they all remained very much on my mind, not least because it dredged up dreadful memories of watching another “last day” myself several months and what seems like a lifetime ago…

Because, when this is happening to you, you really do just want the world to stop and make it know and understand the pain that you're going through, but, of course, it doesn’t and it can’t and all around you, all too many horrible things are happening whilst you struggle when you hear talk on the radio about ridiculously trivial things like “next week’s episode”, or “the repeat of today’s edition”, because you know that the person you’re thinking about so deeply might not be around to hear it, and you don’t, you just don’t, want the world to carry on as normal, and act as if they haven’t gone, because that seems so unfair and just so not right.

I was sitting at the side of a road in a rainstorm when I heard the sad news of his passing early this morning. I was trying to find an address that I’d promised to deliver one of my late mother’s pieces of furniture to, and that was buried in a message on my phone, so I happened to see the “red flag” of the incoming message but was unable, for a time, to reply to it, despite being utterly pole-axed by it.

Much later on, I was able to sit down and send one of those worthless-sounding replies where you struggle to think of the right thing to say, but feel that you really should say something, even though it feels utterly inappropriate to actually do so given the circumstances and the timing.

But it really is dreadful news to hear and you really are so sorry for their loss and, for a time, it does seem that a world without someone so who played such a significant part in your own past in it really doesn’t seem possible.

It’s strange the things that you remember when you start to think about someone who has just gone. I remember being in the back of a Volkswagen Beetle heading off to the faraway lands of Derbyshire on weekend adventures, and sitting on beaches in Llanbedrog in North Wales, and incredibly organised filing systems, and so many medals representing so many marathons run, and some balloons tied to a banister rail marking a fiftieth birthday that now seems like no more than a blink of an eye ago and yet, shockingly, is not really all that much older than the age that I’ve reached now.

That family, who looked after me rather a lot during my younger years, despite probably considering me not to be the greatest of influences on their own offspring, have remained much in my thoughts all day, and, whilst I know only too well that there’ll be a thousand and one other things for them to be thinking about at the moment, I want them to know that, despite the fact that I’ve not been that great a friend in recent years, if my friend wants to just talk to someone outside the family, I’m always there if he needs me to be and, when he feels ready, I really want take him out for dinner sometime, if he wants to go, and  spend an evening just talking about the old days, or anything else that he wants to talk about, and raising a glass to the memory of his father.

Funnily enough, I was only thinking about his father the other day. Another friend was having a few issues with her son seeming to have become a little bit wayward lately, and I was remembering back to the days of my childhood and, most specifically, the Sunday School I used to attend.

You see, it’s very strange, really, but about thirty or forty years ago, a central core of people which included both of our fathers and other fondly remembered names like Barbara, Jim, Pat, Graham, Arnold, Beryl, Marion, Roland, Marjorie, George, Ann, Ian, Carol and Alan, used to pretty much run that institution between them and, for their pains, got to herd a whole group of kids around as they grew up into the people they turned out to be.

One of the key reasons that we all grew up so relatively okay and (at least sort-of) well-adjusted, (despite, in my case at least, the religious aspect perhaps not really taking), was the set of values that those people demonstrated to us, not by any form of indoctrination, but just by the way they lived their lives which showed us that, if we followed their leads, we might just turn out alright.

I think a lot of it might be because they were wise enough to give us those little responsibilities in life like turning up to help load newspapers into the collection truck, or wash a few cars to raise some funds, or help out by holding a spanner or two when a boiler needed fixing.

Because they gave the impression that they trusted us to do these things, it helped us to grow up a little and believe that we were people who could be trusted, and that’s a great thing to have in your life when you’re a confused youngster trying to make some kind of sense of the world.

Mind you, perhaps with greater wisdom than we appreciated at the time, my friend’s father was wise enough to collect his daughter from several teenage parties far earlier than she would have liked in those days. I’d bet she’d love to hear that knock at the door once again just now, though…

Through such small demonstrations of trust, however, we all learned that having just a little bit of responsibility for what we did meant that we could be depended upon and relied upon, and that, at least to my mind, is the greatest legacy which that generation, as they are slowly and cruelly being taken from this life, have left for us, and I hope that we lived up to that legacy so that they could be proud of the people that we have grown up to become.

All the very best of wishes to all of you, and, specifically today, thank you, Brian.

Here’s to you.

1 comment:

  1. So very sad to here this, Martin. Obviously he had quite an influence on me too in my own growing up days. He will, I am sure, be sorely missed. He was one of those who I somehow thought would go on forever. x

    ReplyDelete