Monday 9 December 2013

THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES

I know that it's deeply shallow of me, but I can only say how utterly chuffed I am to be able to take this photograph and share it with you before spending hours and hours and hours listening to the wonderful voice of Sir Derek Jacobi reading all of those beautifully atmospheric tales of crime fighting in the late Victorian era.

It's been quite a battle, if only a tiny one, to track them all down you know, and complete the collection, but, given that it's these small but significant achievements which can make each day worth facing, I am feeling rather pleased to be able to look at the shelf that they live on and not see the gap-toothed look of the space which had been staring at me right from the middle of them for far too many weeks now since I'd found out that they might just start to get rarer than hen's teeth, given the problems that the publishing company were going through…

Naturally, after all of the angst and woe that my completist inner self had endured, it will be quite typical to find that there'll be an absolute glut of the things and I'll be spotting them everywhere I go, but that's not a problem just as long as my own little set remains complete and unabridged.

I did get a little twitchy when it failed to turn up as expected on Wednesday after the cheerfulness of the previous Friday's "Dispatch Notice" and consequent cancellation of the "alternative" order that I'd put in "just in case" which risked me ending up with two of the things... and its lack of an appearance on Thursday had me positively climbing the walls, but Friday turned out to be the charm and my morning commute for the next few weeks can now be safely assured to include swirling yellow fog, fiends in the night, a comfortable armchair sitting next to a roaring log fire as the world's first consulting detective puts the wrongs of the world to rights at the start of my working day.

But first, there will have to be a pause in the battle against evil as "A Christmas Carol" beckons and will spend a few days hogging the CD player...

2 comments:

  1. It's horrible when you have the completest gene.

    ReplyDelete