Tuesday 29 January 2013

VERBAL DIARRHOEA

I do try and keep it brief you know…? Every time I start one of these I swear that I’m not going to ramble on and on like I usually do, but instead I will, I really will, keep it brief and to the point.

Not least because it would be so much easier to find the time to rattle out just a paragraph or three each morning, rather than the carefully honed essays that I try and persuade myself I’m creating for your delectation and delight.

Brevity is the source of wit, and all that…

Mind you, there’s a massively presumptive “your” in that paragraph anyway.

Obviously, I’m creating it for my own delectation and delight really. Anyone else reading these ramblings is usually just a happy accidental visitor at best, and a poor, lost soul who’s strayed far from their preferred path at worst.

There are exceptions of course.

Those poor, misguided creatures who deliberately venture into these dark corners each and every day, seeking out whatever it is that they are searching for in these (usually less than wise or especially erudite) words that I burble out for no very good reason every so often.

Of course you could argue that in order to make it worth anyone’s while to actually turn up and have a read, I do need to be giving them something that makes it worth the trip, and that I ought to be terribly nice to them for continually making the effort, and, of course, I am exceedingly grateful to them for doing so, even though I do have a slight tendency to be less than tactful in my dealings with them.

As you can see…

After all, if I keep on suggesting that it might not be the wisest of options to come here, they are patently likely to decide not to do so and, in all honesty, who could blame them…?

Perhaps we’ve all learned something profound today about the tortured nature of the resient wordsmith…?

Or perhaps we’ve not…

Oh well, if nothing else, at least I might finally be able to spell the word “diarrhoea” properly the next time I’m asked…

So that’s something to look forward to, isn’t it boys and girls…?

You see? Maybe your visit was worthwhile after all…

1 comment:

  1. I always find that word so descriptive. It sort of has an ambient onomatopoeia about it.

    ReplyDelete