Wednesday 23 January 2013

MY DAY OUT IN WORDS


To be honest I really didn’t want to go this time.

I was still struggling to get rid of my New Year cold, there was still the ongoing minor family crisis, and when the weather took the turn for the worse that it did last week, and then stuck around getting even more worse than that, and so the prospect of dragging my weary bones all the way to London for the day for this year’s annual trade show really did not appeal.

After all, it was bad enough worrying about how and whether I was going to get there without facing the prospect of battling and struggling to get home again afterwards. Reports from the Capital implied that the transport system was struggling to cope and when your tickets have specific journeys printed upon them, things like connections can get a little too dicey for a punctuality-obsessed person like myself.

I vaguely remembered – possibly wildly inaccurately - that there had been some talk at one point about not “having” to go at all this year, but then the tickets got ordered so what could I do other than grin and bear it…?

And so, once again I faced a long hard day of travelling and trying as hard as I could to be vaguely sociable, after a lousy night’s sleep and a whole day of anxiety and trouble, simply to have the prospect of walking around an exhibition hall, finding out what all of our competitors are up to, and then feeling bad about it, and all with the added prospect of perhaps having to face some imagined fallout from some of the technical issues which we were aware had developed during last week’s final frenzied push to try and get everything done in time.

Basically, it was not expected to be the “fun day out” some might think it might be.

And then there was a quandary.

Would it be best to drive all the way to the main line station, risking rush-hour traffic jams in the ice and snow, but consequently not having to deal with possible cancellations of the local trains due to the adverse weather conditions and the horrors of late-night connections…?

Or would it be better to just catch the local train and live dangerously…?

After much dithering, I went with the train option, which did give me a rare opportunity to observe a woman doing her complete make-up routine, from pancake to final touches, whilst sitting upon a moving train.

Arriving at the main-line station, I had a forty-minute wait there rather than risking going to the city centre station and possibly missing my connection after enduring the “sardine can” effect that tends to happen after the intervening stops.

The train rolled in on time and, despite the snow and the ice, and I think for the first time ever, m’colleagues and myself all managed to actually end up travelling down on the same train at the same time, instead of one or other of us having a connection crisis and having to buy a brand new ticket in order to get there at all.

Granted, the vagaries of online booking meant that we didn’t get to sit together (which may have been very shrewd planning on someone’s part…) but we were all going in the same direction at the same time, even if our train was reportedly “back-to-front” with those of us in the common herd being, for once, in the carriages at the front of the train, and “first class” being at the back.

I did wonder how that could happen, given that the train runs backwards and forwards on rails between Manchester and London every day.

It must have been one heck of a skid…!

Anyway, we got to London with the staff apologising for the 15-minute lateness of our arrival which, given that the entire country was coated with snow at the time, seemed to be pretty impressive to be honest. We crossed London using the time-honoured tradition of Underground trains (in their 150th anniversary year… the Northern Line we were using being one of the oldest, as I was able to drearily explain from a factoid I learned from book I read last year) and the Docklands Light Railway with the opportunity it offers to jeer at the bank buildings.

We arrived to be greeted by the boss wearing an astonishingly colourful tie, and telling us jovially of “101 problems which might be about to become 102…” Later on he would tell us tales of the extortion being committed by the venue electricians demanding hundreds of pounds to install extra sockets which you could only use for the three days of the show’s duration before they took them away again, and the threats to not let you have any power at all if you refused to pay up.

Then it was the usual routine of going around the stands, looking at what everyone else is working upon, assessing your own relative professional shortcomings and hoping to improve upon them, eating an overpriced sandwich or two, and meeting and chatting to some old acquaintances, whilst also managing to not meet others who you heard were around but never actually ran into, despite it being a small and rather enclosed world…

Perhaps they tended to leap behind a handy pillar whenever they spotted me. After all, if I was better at recognising people, it’s what I would probably do...

A few hours later, I turned around and headed home again, stopping at a “Burger King” to buy that annual indulgence which I pay dearly for a dozen hours later, and arriving home completely exhausted around about ten o’clock at night and wondering, like I do each year, whether I get as much out of these events as I really ought to be doing…

No comments:

Post a Comment