Tuesday 10 April 2012

BAH...!

I know that I really didn't expect anything to come of it, but... Bah! anyway....




Many thanks for your submission to Laugh Track.
We received more than 800 entries and we have been intensively assessing all the scripts.
We’re afraid to say that your script hasn’t progressed to the next stage of Laugh Track.
The standard of work was very high and the selection process was difficult.
We’d like to wish you the very best with your writing, please do look out for future opportunities on our website.
Best wishes etc.

...and so the world is unlikely to ever see "Wide-Eyed and Wireless", my bittersweet comedy set in the eccentric village of "Nether Buttering" a lovely little place so far beyond the clawing talons of the curse of broadband that it felt like it was in another world, and a place which contained some characters so desperate to finally join in with the technological revolution that they would...

Ah! but that would be telling...

You'll never now get to know the rather lovely people that Cameron and Dierdre were going to turn out to be, or meet Cameron's scheming force of nature of an ex-wife, or be introduced to the strange domestic arrangements of the Fitzpatrick clan, or discover the odd and disparate plans that were being made for the restoration of the grandeur that was once MacTavish Hall...

All gone, all gone...

I had such plans for them, such places for them to go to, and what a monumentally huge hit ratings-smashing crackerjack of a hit it potentially was, but sadly it is not to be...

And so another file hits the shredder and we move on once again.

Or not.

It really is so hard to pick yourself up and dust yourself down when you know in your heart of hearts that you really don't have it in you to succeed at such things, no matter how hard you occasionally try to persuade yourself that you might have. However, I do feel that in life it is just as important (if not even more so) to share your failures than your successes. After all, any fool can gloat about how brilliant they've been at something, but it takes a rare kind of genius to be prepared to confess to the world in general about their abject disasters.

Still, I suppose that it's only the ones destined to be successful that have any successes to gloat about... but that's another issue entirely and it need not trouble us any further today.

Sigh!


4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm intrigued. Is there a role for me in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have happened... Now we'll never know... :-(

      Delete
  2. Bah indeed. I'm sorry to hear it. I'm expecting a similar letter any day now (from a different writing competition). I think it's good to share rejection woes, after all what else can you do.... can I post mine later? :)
    Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to share... especially my failures.

      I'm starting to imagine that I could be in the process of creating a bolt-hole for the "great ignored" of the literary world...

      However, I quite often feel that I've simply got to give up this (script) writing lark. It just seems like a colossal waste of time and I'm beginning to suspect that I'm really not good (enough) at it..

      Delete