Tuesday 12 September 2017

A BOY NAMED MICHAEL

A BOY NAMED MICHAEL

He grew up on my street
The same age as me
A boy named Michael

On a street in Heaton Moor
Random pins on life's map
Kids separated by a few doors

We weren't really friends
And went to different schools
Moving in other circles

But we used to play together
From time-to-time as kids
At our mothers' bidding

Years divide you from youth
Lives divide and grow apart
I would never have kept in touch

How randomly it seems
The world stretches out
And touches so many lives

Silver fingers pierce a morning
Deadly fire flowers bloom
To touch a Stockport street

He moved to America
Lived a short life in New York
Worked in the WTC

Years later I found out
He died on floor ninety-three
That boy named Michael

MAWH, September 2017

For Michael Lomax
A childhood playmate
I barely remembered
Died aged 37, September 11th 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment