Wednesday 28 September 2016

FACE-TO-WHATEVER WITH YOUR NEIGHBOUR’S PANTS

FACE-TO-WHATEVER WITH YOUR NEIGHBOUR’S PANTS

Having communal gardens
There’s always a slight chance
Of finding yourself face-to-crotch
With your neighbour’s pants

It won’t happen very often
In fact hardly ever at all
But when we do our washing
We don’t hang out our smalls

They’ll be put onto a maiden
In the bathroom out of sight
Nobody needs my pants exposed
To the harsh glare of daylight

They borrowed a length of wash-line
One sunny Sunday afternoon
Whilst our own machine was running
Finishing its cycle far too soon

I headed outside laden
Under pant-filled wires I duck
When I had to limbo under it
I just didn’t know where to look

Hanging my sodden shirts out
Wires bending with the strain
Turning to dip in my peg bag
I‘m face-to crotch with pants again

I head back indoors shaken
My empty bag flaps in the breeze
Explaining my discomfort
Putting myself back at my ease

I look outside - they’ve vanished…!
It’s all now flapping clean bedclothes
We’ve avoided all that social angst
That keeps good neighbours on their toes

Though soon, when it starts raining
It almost comes as a relief
I dash up to bring the washing in ---
On the path she dropped her briefs…!


Martin A W Holmes, September 2016

1 comment:

  1. This really made me giggle! We don't hang our undies out either, but the lady living opposite does, and they are enormous!!

    ReplyDelete