Wednesday 5 August 2015

LANDSLIDE (TEXT VERSION 01)


A long(ish) “poem” for three voices

VOICE 1 – He wears a shirt and trousers as if they’ve been thrown on in a hurry
VOICE 2 – She wears a dressing gown
VOICE 3 – He wears the work clothes of an office worker

FADE UP:

VOICE 1:
When does a landslide begin?
Is it when the mountain cracks?
Or when the boulders crumble?

VOICE 2:
Is it when the pebbles fall?
Or the gravel shifts?

VOICE 3:
Is it when the bird shifts a speck of dust?
Or that butterfly flaps its wings?

VOICE 1:
A bird…

VOICE 2:
Takes a peck…

VOICE 3:
And a mountain
Lands on your house…

VOICE 2:
And the world

VOICES 2 & 3:           
Lies broken…           

VOICES 1 & 2           
When does a landslide begin?

VOICE 1:
You could argue that
The landslide began when the earth moved…

VOICE 2:
It did for us…!

VOICE 1:
And the continents crashed
And the mountains rippled up
From out of the sea…
Or…

VOICE 2:
Maybe…

VOICE 1:
Even earlier than that…
When the rocks orbiting the sun
Coalesced and cooled
To form a world…

VOICE 3:
Or…

VOICE 2:
Maybe…

VOICE 1:
Even earlier than that…

VOICE 2:
All the way back
To the big bang…

VOICE 1:
Ah yes! The big bang…!

VOICE 2:
It gets blamed for a lot…

VOICE 3:
It ought to be…!

VOICE 1:
People do think that it all
Comes down to that great…

VOICE 2:
Big…

VOICES 1 & 2:           
Bang…            !

VOICE 1:
People blame it for everything…

VOICE 2:
Everything…!

VOICE 3:
I know I do…!

VOICE 1:
So…
I ask you again…
When does a landslide begin?

VOICE 2:
When does a landslide begin?

VOICE 3:
When does a landslide begin?

VOICE 2:
It all began so innocently
After all…
We’d been together for years…

VOICE 3:
Years!

VOICE 2:
And, you know…
It was…
Fine…

VOICE 3:
Fine…?

VOICE 2:
Well, you know…
We rattled along
In our own quiet way…
Harmlessly…

VOICE 3:
Harmlessly?

VOICE 2:
But never really…
GOING anywhere…
So I did this thing…

VOICE 3:
Didn’t you just…!

VOICE 2:
WENT to this thing…
And I met this guy…
Nigel…

VOICE 1:
Hello!

VOICE 2:
And at first it was…
Fine, you know…?

VOICE 3:
Not really, no…

VOICE 2:
We just chatted and…

VOICE 3:
And…?

VOICE 2:
Became friends…

VOICE 1:
GOOD friends…

VOICE 3:
More than just friends…

VOICE 2:
Not yet…
Not then…
Later on, maybe,
But not yet…

VOICE 1:
But meeting her…
It hit me like a landslide…
I knew that I wanted her…
Wanted to be with her…
Forever…

VOICE 2:
Forever…

VOICE 1:
She was the one…

VOICE 2:
The one…!

VOICE 1:
And whatever it took
I was going to take her…

VOICE 3:
From me…!

VOICE 2:
From you…

VOICE 1:
Well why not?
You weren’t offering her anything.
I offered her everything…
A future…
A life together…
Everything…

VOICE 2:
But not yet…
I wasn’t ready…
Yet…

VOICE 3:
But…
We had a life…

VOICE 2:
Not that sort of life…

VOICE 1:
No!

VOICE 2:
And anyway…
For the moment…

VOICE 3:
The moment…?

VOICE 2:
I wanted…
Both…

VOICE 3:
Your cake and eating it?

VOICE 2:
Maybe…
Perhaps…
I don’t know…
It just…
Started…
And you made it easy…
“I’m just visiting my friend” I’d say…
“He’s having some problems”

VOICE 3:
And like the idiot I am
I believed you…

VOICE 2:
You always did…

VOICE 3:
So many times…
Too many times…!

VOICE 2:
I sometimes wished…
That you would cheat on us too…

 VOICE 3:
I never did!

VOICE 2:
But I wished you had…

VOICE 3:
To ease your conscience?

VOICE 2:
It would have made things…
Easier…

VOICE 1:
Easier…

VOICE 3:
Too easy…

VOICE 2:
You think this was easy?

VOICE 3:
I think YOU were…
Frequently…

VOICE 1:
Well, she never cheated on me!

VOICE 2:
No…?

VOICE 3:
But deep down I already knew.
I remember one long
Late winter evening
When you were so long overdue
Round at his place…

VOICE 1:
Time for a quick one before you go?

VOICE 2:
Go on then…

VOICE 3:
Judging by the time you
Finally got home
It must have been a very slow quickie…

VOICE 1:
Oh yes!

VOICE 3:
I was alone for hours
Without a word
Watching for your car coming back
And trying to watch
But not watching
This bloody film
“Trains…”

VOICE 1:
“Planes…”

VOICE 2:
“and Automobiles”

VOICE 1:
Great film!

VOICE 3:
Is it?
I’ve never been able to watch it…
Since…

VOICE 2:
But I did come back…

VOICE 3:
For a while…
You know, your best friend
Our best friend,
The married one…

VOICE 2:
The dead one…!

VOICE 3:
Once told me that she knew all about you…
Two…

VOICE 1:
Well, she would…

VOICE 2:
Wouldn’t she…?

VOICE 3:
And she thought it was really unfair…

VOICE 2:
Was this when you were shagging her?

VOICE 3:
That was much later!

VOICE 1:
Way to go!

VOICES 2 & 3:           
Shut up!

VOICE 3:
Unfair on me…
Unfair on her…
She wanted to tell me
But she couldn’t -
Not without…

VOICE 2:
Betraying a confidence…

VOICE 3:
Betrayal…

VOICE 1:
Might have saved a lot of trouble if she had…

VOICE 2:
Might have prevented…

VOICE 1:
That Friday…

VOICE 3:
The landslide…!

VOICES 1 & 2:           
The landslide!

VOICE 3:
You know…
I was having a great day…!

VOICE 1:
So was I!

VOICE 2:
Weren’t we all?

VOICE 3:
A lovely, warm spring day.
The sun was shining
And
It felt like the first
Day of summer.
The boss,
In a rare moment of goodwill,
Decided to let us all
Go home early…

VOICE 1:
The idiot!

VOICE 3:
I knew, you know

VOICES 1 & 2:           
Really?

VOICE 3:
The moment I got home
Your White Capri outside

VOICE 1:
Ah…

VOICE 3:
The bedroom window
Open wide…
Like…

VOICE 2:
I heard you come in!
I’ve never been so frightened…
Never moved so fast
In all my life…!

VOICE 3:
I whistled…
Madly
Loudly
As I approached the front door
Hoping you’d hear

VOICE 2:
I did

VOICE 1:
WE did!

VOICE 3:
Rattling the keys
All but bellowing
“Hi Honey, I’m home”
Or something like that

VOICE 2:
Something like that…
I grabbed a dressing gown

VOICE 3:
My dressing gown!

VOICE 2:
And just got to the door
In time to hold it closed
And stop you opening it…

VOICE 3:
“Don’t come in!” you shouted

VOICE 2:
Please don’t come in…

VOICE 1:
Whilst I’m in the bedroom
Frantically grabbing my clothes
And wondering whether
I’d get thumped
And how I’d got into
This sit-com farce

VOICE 3:
And I gave you time
I waited in the kitchen
And let you leave
And didn’t thump anyone

VOICE 1:
Result!

VOICE 3:
Though for years I wished I had

VOICE 2:
I’m glad you didn’t

VOICE 3:
I’m better than that
I deserved better than that!
You left a week later
Got your own place
But the sex we had that week

VOICE 1:
Eh…?

VOICE 3:
Was probably the best we ever had…

VOICE 1:
I think that we need to have
A conversation…

VOICE 2:
Really, we don’t…

VOICE 1:
But…

VOICE 2:
It was all so long ago now…

VOICE 3:
Then you both went away
For a weekend
And the twist in my gut
When I found out you’d gone
Told me you weren’t ever coming back

VOICE 2:
I tried to stay in touch
We tried to remain friends…

VOICE 3:
But that was never going to work…

VOICE 1:
Never…

VOICE 3:
But even now
After all these years have passed
I still find I resent
The happiness you’ve had
The successes that you’ve had
The family that you’ve had
With the life you stole
From me
And even though
I accept that you did
What you had to do…
For you…
The question
I now realise
Is not
When does a landslide begin
But will it ever end?

FADEOUT

Martin A W Holmes, August 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment