Wednesday 6 June 2012

LOVELY JUB(I)LEE

So how did you spend your holiday weekend? Lots of company? Far too much cake? Having a right Royal knees-up?

Well good for you, good for you…

Personally I knew it was going to be a difficult few days. It always is for me when I know that everyone in the nation is “supposed” to be enjoying themselves. Somehow that idea always defeats me and instead I find myself in dark rooms brooding upon how it came to this, how I was turned into this odd creature that I find myself being, locking myself away from notions of “organised fun”, lurking in the shadows so I don’t bring anyone else down with me.

I do try and stay out of the way, you know, as best as I can, so as to not bring the rest of you down. Instead I sit here typing my nonsense which, ironically I suppose, brings everyone down, but at one step removed. Somehow, whilst all of this self-analysis helps me, I can’t see it being much “fun” for everyone else.

The weekend started well enough what with battling my way around a supermarket on a Friday night and starting to feel decidedly unwell as I delivered my mother’s food order and headed homewards with the beloved afterwards. The “unwell” is always, I think, a psychological response to either the probability of being expected to enjoy myself, or just being in any kind of proximity to my mother when she’s in one of her “moods” which is, of course, every time I’m in a room with her.

Saturday was spent hiding in our little house as the heavens opened, catching up with a lot of “Lewis” episodes that we’d recorded and trying out a DVD we’d been lent about a Norwegian Private Investigator called “Varg Veum” which we’d been assured was much mocked by Norwegian comedians in much the same way “Midsomer Murders” gets mocked over here. Strangely, we found it “gritty” and “dark” (and consequently rather enjoyable) which probably means that I don’t understand the sense of humour of yet another nation, and this time it’s one that is notoriously bleak.

Sunday started with one of those “one line” telephone calls from my mother, (about which, I’m sure, there’ll be more to tell you about on another day) which tend to drop a bomb into my life and has me spending the rest of my day feeling guilty and in a thunderously bad mood because of something I have or haven’t done that makes me, once again, a huge disappointment to her.

Still, we staggered on through the morning after that dawn raid, by heading to the local shop for milk and I took some photographs of bunting in the rain.

Well, somehow it seemed appropriate.

Then we sat down and watched five hours of boats floating down the Thames which was all right. After all, I quite like boats, although my “additional commentary” (not available as a podcast anywhere) probably convinced the beloved of my hidden shallows all over again. I did finally get to work out just who the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are so that I might actually recognise them the next time I see them on telly (I know... but the wedding kind of passed me by...) and I did get rather moved by the Royal Philharmonic playing at the end which rather surprised even me. Sadly, I suspect that it might have been my idea of “fun” that triggered the beginnings of a migraine in the beloved, so she toddled off to a dark room and our big “escape plans” for Monday, a long-distance bird-watching expedition, which were already looking more tenuous because of the weather, finally fell into the abyss.

Strangely, when I was trying to sleep due to my own exhaustion on Monday afternoon, it was bad dreams about flinging myself into an abyss that kept waking me up…

The rest of Monday proved equally difficult. After writing off the venture to go away and watch the birdies far, far from home, we still decided that getting out of the house would be a wise move, not least for a lungful of good old honest fresh air, but also because my stomach was already churning at the possibility of being dragged into the more local festivities which I have so feared for these past few weeks since the letter appeared through the door. The local water park seemed a safe enough bet and so, after stopping for a petrol refill, we headed over there only to find the car park was full of tables and bunting.

We turned around and fled, ending up in a traffic jam full of, presumably, similarly minded escapees (or – more likely – people with places to go), and headed up to an out of the way bookshop I quite like where I found a great big book about film noir, which I was very pleased to discover, so that might indicate to you how I was feeling about things by then.

We headed homewards with the butterflies in my stomach and trying my best (and failing) to keep the panic attacks from rising, and somehow we managed to run the gauntlet of our partying neighbours, to get inside the house and hide out for the rest of the day, wondering how that jolly and robust Duke of Edinburgh of yesterday’s pageant had been brought so swiftly low, and hoped that all the merry-making didn’t suddenly start to seem inappropriate and insensitive. Maybe he’s a bit like me after all; Likes the boats, not so keen on all the parties, and we are both capable of making crass comments at the most inopportune moments.

After reading that news, I pretty much went straight to bed and hid under the duvet until those bad dreams I mentioned resurrected me and brought me back downstairs for the rest of the movie the beloved was watching, and an evening of “Horrible Histories” until the fatigue brought on by all this expense of anxious energy finally dragged me back to bed to be woken later by the fireworks somewhere nearby.

Tuesday dawned and the internet had died overnight in our locality and showed every sign of remaining so. I wrote a bit of nonsense and wondered what yet another day of “fun” would bring. Having decided to stay put, watch a few documentaries and maybe do a little housework instead of heading out into the unpromising looking weather, another phone call from her ladyship, despite me now struggling to remember any of the content of it, left me feeling sick and tired, an expression I had never really thought about in quite such literal terms before.

I thought that I’d write more over the weekend, to be perfectly honest, with four whole days of opportunity to spend some time honing a few notions, but a depression wave can be so deep when it hits that it seeps into every facet of your being and refuses to let you function even in the areas that you sometimes persuade yourself that you enjoy.

Some words did, of course, come.

Words like these.

Fetid, introspective and brutal words that spoke of darkness and little light, of bitterness and anxiety and generally the antithesis of “having a good time”.

Really! I’m not joking! You should have seen the version of this I deleted… or perhaps it’s better that you didn’t…


1 comment:

  1. The only cloud on my Jubilee horizon were my neighbours who are all so well-jobbed and careered that when they asked me what I did for a living I simply walked away in shame.

    ReplyDelete