Thursday 17 February 2011

BADGERS, BADGES, BELLS & ACCIDENTAL WORDS

Good morning universe, how are you today? There’s nothing much on my mind today, so here’s a few random bits of nonsense that came out of yesterday’s to-ings and fro-ings.

I did accidentally discover that I’d managed to “invent” a new word, or at least one that was new to me. I was writing one of those hasty “end of the day” emails and made a passing reference to some animation and hit “send” before I’d read it back to myself, hence my description of something needing to squech a bit. "Squech" my new word for part squelch, part stretch. I rather like it. It probably lurks in the OED as something utterly vile and is most likely to turn out to be the sort of thing that used to cause Victorian ladies to swoon with shock, but, for the moment, it’s my favourite new thing.

I suppose it was a day for small accidents, really. As I sat chatting in the hospital, my phone beeped with a text message, which surprised me as I thought it was switched off, and when I went to check the message, I did indeed find that the keypad was locked. Apparently my phone had decided all on its own to ring m’colleague and he’d got a lengthy old insight into the sort of chat our family have when we’re sitting around in a hospital ward. I guess I was lucky it was just him that it phoned, although I did spend some time fretting over who else it might have called as well as him, and on quite what indiscretions that I might have sounded off about whilst he was listening in. It’s all a bit Nixonish, M.I.5-ish or whistle-blower-ish, really, isn’t it, bugging your own conversations? It turns out that I had been in a bit of a rush as I headed out into the night and had flung both the phone and my Bluetooth gizmo into an inside pocket and it was the button on the earpiece that had been accidentally pressed, bypassing the locked keypad and dialling away. Oh well, I suppose it’s a lesson learned.

However, there was an accident avoided later on. As I was driving home from my evening duties last night, about a hundred yards ahead of me I spotted a badger crossing the main road and disappearing into the hedge on the far side. It was definitely badger shaped and not a fox or a cat and I suddenly felt all cosy and rural. I know that it’s supposed to be either ‘good’ or ‘bad’ luck if a black cat crosses your path depending on your cultural origins, but I never got the memo on what the situation might be with badgers. Still, it was probably very lucky for the badger that the road wasn’t any busier, although, with their wise old “Toad of Toad Hall” ways, maybe they’re more astute than I think they are and I should credit them with a little more road sense than I do.

It was a tough day to remain focused to be honest, as family matters loomed large in my thoughts as I tried to get on with my work. The phone seemed to be ringing all day as little bits of further information seeped out, but ultimately we ended the day in much the same position as we started it in, although the imminence of the change seems to be looming larger. I only mention this because I often mull over what a lousy fireman I would have made, for so many reasons, but the one that springs quite often to mind is that great big bell that they have in the dormitories. If I knew that there was even the remotest chance of that going off in the night, I know that I wouldn’t be able to sleep a wink. I once stayed in a B&B in Hay-on-Wye which was right opposite the town clock, and the knowledge that it was going to chime on the quarter hours meant that I barely slept for the entire duration of the stay. It’s not a recent development, either. As a student, living in halls, if there was even the slightest rumour that a fire drill was imminent, I would lie awake all night. I’m now starting to feel like this about my own telephone, and it’s really making it difficult to concentrate as any moment the call to the hospital might come.

I know I shouldn’t do it (I! Really! Shouldn’t!), but every so often, when I’m taking a five minute coffee break or munching upon my lunchtime sandwich, I let my weak-minded mouse-clicking finger hover over that fatal “Have Your Say” tab that lurks so invitingly on the BBC News Website, and, in a moment of weakness, I will sometimes click on it and release the hordes of madness into my brain. I must point out here that I’m only reading the stuff, and hope that the wireless waves of the computer would do a U-turn in mid-air and join together and focus on my forehead in order to drill a channel right through my head if I decided to actually contribute. Yesterday’s debate that managed to summon the screeching banshees from out of the woodwork was about the reform of the disabled blue badge scheme. The amount of bile, prejudice and downright hatred that this subject managed to draw out of people was astonishing to read. One of the members of my own family has one of these badges (although thanks to the Clemeron this is currently subject to review and causing much angst, but that’s another issue for another day really) because of a heart condition. Obviously this isn’t a very visible disability and not one that would be immediately apparent to the casual observer, but I mention it only really because it’s something to think about. We all are very capable of judging by appearances, I know I am, and maybe we should stop and think a bit before sounding off about all and sundry (says he, blogging away about  anything and everything…).

Finally, whilst I am trying to get out of my recent bad habit of the blog becoming about the blog (“Blog will eat itself???”), I did have a recent exchange of views with my fellow bloggist over in Bedford Falls. He told me that I write with a deep honestly that he marvels at which is ironic because I admire his abstract flights of fancy and his ability to find something life-affirming to say, even if he does mean it ironically, and many is the time I’ve thought “I wish I could have written that…” Oh well, I suppose it’s no different to people with straight hair wishing they had curls and vice-versa.

We do what we do.

5 comments:

  1. I feel sorry for badgers. I remember a time when they were a rare sight. These days you can't drive five miles west without seeing one dead by the side of the road. On my usual drive to North Wales a few weeks ago I counted six. Maybe it is better to be scarce than dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking of invented words. In order to gain access to this & other interactive web sites I am often asked to copy a verification word. The word is different each time & seems to be randomly generated by a computer system. They are not real words but they are usually made up of believably juxtaposed syllables. The words have no meaning but many of them deserve to have meanings.
    You may have seen a little book called 'The meaning of Liff' in which the authors (Douglas Adams & John Lloyd [no relation]) have taken real names of cities, towns & villages & have assigned meanings to the names. My personal favourite is 'Pot Shrigley' (a village in Cheshire) which is now forever associated for me with the meaning- "Dried remains of a week-old casserole, eaten when extremely drunk at two a.m."
    Anyway, back to the verification words. I rather sadly started to keep a record of them & really must get around to doing an Adams/Lloyd on them. Here are some of the most recent. Any ideas?
    Impse, gessecto, trusly, unbilso, cowso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impse – Oi! Little Demon! Shift yourself!

    Gessecto – I didn’t know the answer, but then, half way through, I realized that I did.

    Trusly – Really, really devious.

    Unbilso – I’m not going to pay it and what are you going to do about it?

    Cowso – I think that was a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you would rise to the challenge. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered these few I hadn't seen before on t'internet this morning. Hope they make you giggle as much as they did me!

    * TESTICULATING. Waving your arms around and talking bollocks. * BLAMESTORMING. Sitting round in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible. * SEAGULL MANAGER. A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything and then leaves. * SALMON DAY. The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die. * CUBE FARM. An office filled with cubicles. * PRAIRIE DOGGING.. When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm and people's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on. * SALAD DODGER. An excellent phrase for an overweight person. * SWAMP DONKEY. A deeply unattractive person.. * AEROPLANE BLONDE. One who has bleached/dyed her hair but still has a 'black box'. * PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE. The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again. * OH-NO SECOND. That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake. (e.g. You've hit 'reply all'). * GREYHOUND. A very short skirt, only an inch from the "hare". * MILLENNIUM DOMES. The contents of a Wonderbra, i.e. Extremely impressive when viewed from the outside but there's actually naught in there worth seeing. * MONKEY BATH . A bath so hot, that when lowering yourself in, you go: 'Oo! Oo! Oo! Aa! Aa! Aa!'. * MYSTERY BUS. The bus that arrives at the pub on Friday night while you're in the toilet after your 10th pint and whisks away all the unattractive people so the pub is suddenly packed with stunners when you come back in. * TART FUEL. Bottled premixed spirits, regularly consumed by young women. * TRAMP STAMP. Tattoo on a female. * PICASSO BUM. A woman whose knickers are too small for her, so she looks like she's got 4 buttocks.

    ReplyDelete