Friday 14 January 2011

CLIMBING OUT OF THE PIT

It’s been an odd little week here in Lesser Blogfordshire. Whilst the world has been suffering from devastating floods and other cataclysmic events, I’ve been sat here rattling on about such mundane things as toast and television, parcels and palindromes. I don’t know whether that makes me “quintessentially English” or just an ordinary, self-absorbed human being, but it does highlight the perils of becoming focussed on your own little world and not seeing the bigger picture.

I started the week in a dark place, both geographically and emotionally, and, whilst I will admit to a little bit of stylistic embellishment, my thoughts on that dismal Monday morning did seem to strike a chord with one or two of you. I don’t usually get a lot of feedback to my little ramblings, which I don’t really mind and isn’t at all surprising. There aren’t all that many of you and you’re all terribly busy people, so it was terribly kind of you to take the time to write your thoughts and reflections on what was probably a “difficult” insight into the less than clockwork mechanism of my mind, and finding out that I am indeed “not alone” when I go to those dark places was very uplifting, and served to remind me once again that my own little worries pale into insignificance when put up against what some of the people who share this little planet with me are going through.

My “anonymous” sister’s comments were probably the most intimate discussion we’ve ever had about such matters and I suppose that it’s rather strange that this would be forum that we would choose to express these things, but we are both living in “strange times” and also getting used to a proximity to each other (again geographically and emotionally) that we haven’t shared in a couple of decades. I’m sort of getting used to having her around again, so it’s going to be a bit of a wrench when she heads on back to her “real” life.

Those other various comments I got in response to my report about my own treks through the darkness did leave me feeling rather humbled and slightly ashamed. Honestly, I don’t know how some of you get through my meanderings without punching your fist through the screen in frustration at my introspection as I churn out yet another “life affirming” post that sounds for all the world like it’s been written by an impossible idiot, quite probably doing a very fine impression of someone with an undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

I know and I’m sorry

Nonetheless, it did seem to stir up an interesting response or two from certain quarters. The January Blues and Mondayitis are both familiar (if not medically recognised) phenomena amongst the working populations of the world, and for a lot of people, Monday mornings generally are like looking down into their own endless void, or well of doom. There is a day around this time of the year, which is statistically “proven” to be the most miserable day of the year, and always gets a bit of airtime on the news channels, but sadly (there is no other word more appropriate here) Blue Monday is still to come.

It’s next Monday I believe. Be warned!

Some of you said terribly supportive things and reminded me that this time of year is bleak in many ways. Others shared tales of your own walks in the darkness, both current and in the vivid and distant past and I hope that my stirring up of your own memories wasn’t too tactless or insensitive of me. Those of you who remain hidden under your own defensive duvets this morning - metaphorical ones I suppose if you’re reading this, or actual ones if we’re catching up later – will hopefully find your own pathways out of your dark places fairly soon. Just remember, if you need us, we’re there for you, even if you think we aren’t.

Meanwhile, I shall move onto other matters. Two of the parcels arrived, but three remain in parcel limbo or possibly exist in a quantum state where they are neither lost nor delivered. I’ve added to my jitters by taking advantage of further offers and a further few bits and bobs are now allegedly in transit, alongside subscription magazines that I read on websites have already been delivered to certain parts of the country, but remain outside the boundaries of Lesser Blogfordshire at the moment. Reading websites really does increase my opportunities for neurotic reactions to these things.

Statistically it has proved an interesting week. Not only did we get the beautifully palindromic date on Tuesday (which sadly failed completely to elicit any spontaneous postings of palindromes from anyone – sometimes I try to trigger what I think will be “fun” little games but then no-one seems to think they’ll be as much fun as I think they’ll be…) but my Amazon review “helpful” stats crept over the 1000 mark on the very same day (although that’s only the ones who clicked and not all of them thought I’d been “helpful” – and I struggle to imagine what is “unhelpful” about much of what I used to put in those things…). Not only that, after a longish wait, the FizzBok chums tally clicked back to a reassuringly even number again.

I hope you didn’t mind my little trawl back through the week, but I thought I should do the occasional follow up, especially as the rather mundane alternatives might not have been so appealing now that I’ve shared my own “toast dilemma” or “jumping the shark” moment.

I mean, this morning it was either this or my reflections on the bluebottle buzzing around trapped in the paper lampshade (yes, I still have one of those relics from the Habitat age!) in the bathroom…

Shudder!

I think I made the right choice…

1 comment:

  1. Statistically, the week just gets better and better, as I notice out of the corner of my eye that the "Nifty Nine" have now transformed into the "Terrific Ten" which also has the advantage of being an even number.

    Even though we've jumped the shark and are heading out into choppier waters, welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete