Wednesday 30 October 2013

GRANDAD'S GRAND DESIGNS (PHOTOBLOG)

In the 1950s, my grandfather had the first of the two houses which he had built in his lifetime constructed at Green Lane in Hyde, Cheshire. This house was called "The Hawthorns" and they lived there until it was sold in 1974 when I was about ten years old.

My grandparents then moved into a flat in John Grundy House for nearly two years whilst the second house he built, a split-level retirement bungalow, was being built elsewhere in Hyde, but sadly, so far at least, I've not yet found any of the pictures he may have taken during that build, which he completed in 1976, and where he lived with my grandmother until his death in 1980.

My grandmother remained in that house until she sold it and moved into a retirement apartment in Stockport in 1989.

These pictures, taken as that original build of "The Hawthorns" progressed, resurfaced recently as we were going through mum's possessions after she died, and I hope you find them as fascinating as I do.









1 comment: