Monday 15 November 2010

GRREAT SCOTT!!!


Tick… Tock…

I’ll have to be quick today…

Tick… Tock…

Too much to do…

Tick… Tock…

…and too little time to do it in…

The clock is ticking…

The squeeze is on…

…and something’s got to give… Time is passing me by… I should have prepared something in advance… clawed back some time… but now it’s too late… got to think on my feet… no time to edit… no time to relax… no time at all… to think about time… it’s about time…

Yesterday it was all so different… Yesterday there was lots of time to relax… I could wallow in the indulgence of a day with nothing much to do… I could look at those dishes but just leave them to soak… now they need washing and there’s no time today to do it… “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today”… I wish I’d remembered that yesterday… but oh no! Yesterday I could quite happily get sucked into watching most of a movie I didn’t really want to watch just because I channel hopped and there it was… Yesterday I had the time to do that sort of thing… Today… There’s a list of stuff to do as long as my arm and I’m not getting any of it done…

What I need is a time machine… like in that old movie yesterday…

“Back to the Future.”

What a great film that was. You could burble on about that magnificent performance by Christopher Lloyd as “Doc” Brown, you could lament the way the curve ball real life threw at Michael J Fox, you could ponder on the controversy about Crispin Glover not being in the sequels or that back then the terrorists were Libyan, or you could quietly be appalled that the improvements in the destiny of the McFly family can only be achieved through an act of violence or be quietly irritated by the roles of women in 1950s America… but there’s no time for that today.

Great script.

Great film.

Great Scott!

What really struck me about it was – and it’s preying on my mind this busy morning – is that the film was made in 1985 and depicted the strange, mysterious faraway and unusual world  of 1955 as if it was ancient history, but

1985 is nearly thirty years ago to us now and yet it still seems a more familiar world to us now than 1955 seemed to us back then. Has the world stagnated? Have things changed so little in this last quarter century compared to the previous one? Yes, we have MP3 players and mobile phones and laptop computers that even the 1980s version of “Star Trek” failed quite to foresee (Ah, it was all so new and… beige back then…), but aren’t we now getting to the time when the flying cars and hoverboards should be as ordinary to us as toasters and kettles were then?

Something must have gone wrong somewhere along the line…

I’ll have to fire up the DeLorean and look into it.

Tell you what, we’ll continue with this twenty minutes ago… Now where did I leave those car keys?

Come on! Come on! I haven’t got the time for turning the house over looking for things this morning…

Tick… Tock… Tick… Tock…

Tick.

1 comment:

  1. Yes where is it Going? I have a 'to do' list for my 'to do' list. I may have to use the Magic Boomerang and gain some time that way.

    ReplyDelete